A lot of Motorola devices have been receiving Android 6.0 Marshmallow update over the air. One of the first to receive this update is the Moto X 2nd Generation. The OTA comes early to Motorola as the company’s devices are backed by Google itself. With time, more such devices will receive the update. According to the Moto X Style Marshmallow firmware changelog as seen on the official Mototrola website, changes include several new features and functions including doze mode, app standby, app permissions, app links, expandable storage, do not disturb and lots more.
Although the update is running over the air, here is the OTA capture that will take your device to Marshmallow firmware. The Version 24.11.18.en.EU is the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware for Moto X 2014. There are two methods to install the OTA update viz, using stock recovery and using adb sideload. As these are signed OTA updates, there won’t be any problem flashing them through stock recovery.
You can manually check the updates from software updates in settings. Go to Settings> About Phone> Software Information/Updates. Tap the updates option and check if the update appear on your device. If you don’t see any action in there, then go through the methods listed below.
Before we begin verify which firmware you are coming from and flash the OTA accordingly. Make sure you have the latest update prior to version 24.11.18.en.EU
Warning: We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. A full backup is highly recommended as it may wipe all of your app and system data. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA Update Version 24.11.18.en.EU for Moto X 2014 2nd Gen. XT1092
Method 1: Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA Update on Moto X 2014 with Stock Recovery [OTA]
- Make sure you do not have any security updates available for your phone prior to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. If available, apply these updates to your phone.
- Download the OTA zip file from the download section for your device. Verify the build number you are coming from.
- Transfer the OTA zip file from your PC to your phone’s storage or SD card if applicable. Place the file where you can easily locate it.
- Now, you need to boot your device into Stock Recovery mode. To boot into recovery, restart your device and press the Volume Down button while booting up. Or you can try Step 3-4 in next method or refer to the note given below Method 2.
- Once your phone boots into Recovery Mode, Select Apply Updates from phone’s storage and navigate to the OTA file you just saved on your phone. Use the volume keys to navigate and power key to confirm the action.
- The installation process will start on your device and take a few minutes.
- Once the installation is completes, it will automatically reboot. Otherwise, go back and reboot to system
If after this update the system does not boot, a factory reset might just work. If this method works for you then you can enjoy your new firmware. However, if it fails or gives an error, then refer to method 2.
Method 2: Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow OTA Update on Moto X 2014 with adb sideload [OTA]
This is another method to install OTA updates. To make this method work, you need to setup adb environment on your PC. You need to sideload the updates manually to your system.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer. You can install the full Android SDK package from Google through this link, or get the quick adb and fastboot installer from here. For Mac or Linux OS, click here.
- Install latest Motorola USB Drivers on your computer. This is important to detect the phone.
- Open Settings> Developer options and enable USB Debugging on your device. To enable developer options, tap the Build Number multiple times (approx. 7 times) in About Phone.
- Make sure you have setup ADB and Fastboot environment on your PC. Download the OTA package and place the file in the same directory where the adb is installed.
- Power off your device and keep it unplugged from your PC.
- Boot into stock recovery. To do so, press and hold volume down and the power button for 5-6 seconds. (Refer to the note given below this method)
- Now on the next screen, select the stock recovery option which will boot you into the recovery.
- Once into the stock recovery, select the option apply update from adb.
- Now plug in your device to the PC using a USB cable.
- Navigate to the location where your adb and fastboot is installed on your PC. While the folder with adb and fastboot files is open, hold shift key on keyboard and right-click on an empty space and select “Open command window here” option to launch a command prompt window.
- Now check your adb connection by issuing the following command. It should return device information. Otherwise, you need to make sure your drivers are installed correctly.
- Issue the following command to install the updates
adb sideload ota.zip
- This will flash the ota update to your system. “ota.zip” is the name of the file. Make sure you either rename the file to “ota.zip” or type the name of the file exactly with proper extension.
- Once the installation completes, reboot to system.
For Mac or Linux users, setup adb and issue the “./adb sideload ota.zip” command without quotes.
Note to boot into recovery mode:
- Power off phone
- Press Vol Down + Power keys until you get into the select menu and then stop pressing buttons
- Vol Down to Recovery and press power
- Select Recovery mode in options (read instructions at the top of screen to select recovery option)
- If you will see a warning message with exclamation mark, hold Power then tap Volume up (follow the order properly) and leave it.
- Choose recovery and select update from ADB using volume buttons to navigate and power to select.
- Plug into Windows PC or Mac
How to boot into stock recovery using adb and fastboot?
Alternatively, you can issue an adb code to boot into recovery while your device is connected to the PC. Issue the following code.
adb reboot recovery
Now that you have installed the OTA update, you can now enjoy your new Marshmallow firmware. If you have a rooted device then you can flash the TWRP flashable OTA updates or simply download the customized full ROM zip file and flash it.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.