OmniROM is well known for their Legacy builds. Though it made 40 Kitkat ROMs, they managed well and ported ROMs for latest and greatest Android Lollipop. OmniROM was in news and articles for its glimpses in multi-window feature past few years and looks like they have done their job very well. Back in January they started rolling out nightlies for Android 5.1.1 to all the successful devices.
Over the past few months OmniROM developers and contributors have been working diligently in order to deliver the best user experience. At this point in time, they have confidence in the stability of codebase, as such 5.1.1 nightly releases based on Android Lollipop have begun! Currently only few of their ROMs can be used as daily drivers. Today on DroidViews we present you a way to sweeten your Motorola Xoom. Note that this is early build by OmniROM and the developer mentioned few glitches and bugs. Follow this guide carefully and in no time you will be a Lollipop guy.
This Android 5.1.1 Lollipop OmniROM has to be installed on Motorola Xoom WiFi MZ604 model only.
- Make sure the device is rooted before going forward for custom ROM installation.
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone, so make sure to back all the data by installing bigPart TWRP in the smartphone.
- Users make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else your smartphone will not be recognized by the computer. Download them from here.
- Make sure your device has more than 80% battery, or else there is chance of smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
- Though installing custom ROM improve the device’s performance and UI experiences, it will void your warranty.
- Download Android 5.1.1 OmniROM from here and Google Apps from here or here.
Warning: The author or the developer will not be responsible, if you damage or brick your device. Do it at your own risk and follow the instructions properly.
- Download OmniROM zip to your PC and make sure you have bigpart TWRP recovery.
- Connect Motorola Xoom WiFi MZ604 to PC via USB cable. Before plugging the phone to the computer, be sure that you have installed correct USB drivers.
- Then, copy Android 5.1.1 OmniROM zip file and Google Apps zip file into the root folder of phone’s SD card memory.
- Now, turn off the device and disconnect from the PC.
- Then perform the regular Recovery Mode sortie by press-holding ‘Volume up’, ‘Volume down’ and ‘Power’ buttons.
- After entering the Recovery mode, clear the phone memory, by choosing ‘wipe data/factory reset’
- Now, clear the cache memory by selecting ‘wipe cache partition’ and go back select ‘advanced’ and tap ‘wipe dalvik cache’.
- Now from main recovery install the zips from SD card.
- Once done with the installation process, restart the device by opting ‘reboot system now’ seen in the recovery menu.
The first boot takes 5-10 minutes. Sit back and relax. If the boot time exceeds 10 minutes then clear the dalvik cache again.
You did it! Now you have OmniROM on your Motorola Xoom WiFi MZ604. If you face any issues then let us know in comments below. Don’t forget to share your experiences.