Update: Added the ADB sideload method for those who are facing issues with the earlier method. Added the working screenshots of the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop ROM.
Motorola Moto E users are at the verge of receiving the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on their favorite low budget device. Moto E is quite a challenge for many small to medium smartphone manufacturers in India and it has been the best smartphone near to the $100 mark. Motorola had taken a grand initiative in launching the Moto E last year in an attempt to bring quality smartphones in the budget sector. Looking at the popularity and the sales, we think that little strategy with Moto E earned a big time fortune for Motorola.
Once again Motorola trusted the path of soak test where invitations are sent to few of the select users in India and Brazil to test their new Lollipop update. Once the update was tested and feedback is collected from the soak test campaign, Motorola will roll out the final update. Considering the Moto G’s soak test duration, we could estimate the final update due for another two weeks approximately. So if you haven’t received any mail from Motorola, you won’t see the soak test update on your device and have to wait till the original update rolls out.
Lucky for you, a good samaritan prateektaneja of XDA has taken time to upload the latest soak test OTA zip file and share it with us. The update weighs at a whopping 361 MB and updates your device to the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop along with some Motorola service upgrades. If you’re eager to try the Lollipop update right now, fasten your seatbelt and get ready for a quick tutorial on how to install the leaked soak test OTA zip file on your Moto E [Indian version only]. However, you have to restore back to stock non-rooted Moto E before proceeding with the installation.
Here are a few screenshots of the Lollipop running on Moto E:
Install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA Zip on Moto E
- Download the soak test Lollipop OTA zip file (Blur_Version.22.21.32.condor_retaildsds.retaildsdsall.en.03.zip) → Download
- Make sure you have the latest Motorola Update services app installed on your device. You can download the latest version of the app from the Playstore link below:
Motorola Update Services Price: Free
- Connect your Moto E to the PC and transfer the downloaded zip file to the root of your internal external storage.
- Reboot the device into recovery mode. To do this:
- Power off your device completely and wait for few seconds to ensure it.
- Now simultaneously press the power, volume up and volume down keys to enter the bootloader menu.
- Use the Volume down button to select the recovery mode option and press Volume up button to enter.
- You should see an Android logo now, press the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons for about 5 seconds and press power button once to display the menu.
- Wipe the system cache and reboot your device.
- Navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Updates and select “Yes. I’m in” to install the OTA file on your device. If the update was not popped up, press check for update button.
- Sit back and relax while the OTA zip is installed on your device.
- Download and install Motorola USB Drivers on your computer: Download
- Enable USB Debugging on your Moto E from Settings> Developer options. You can find detailed instructions here.
- Download and extract the fastboot/ADB kit on your PC: mfastboot-v2.zip
- Rename the OTA zip to update.zip and place it in the same directory where the fastboot/ADB files are extracted.
- Now boot into recovery mode and select apply update from ADB.
- Connect your device to the PC and make sure the device is detected.
- Open a command prompt in the fastboot/ADB directory and execute the following command:
adb sideload update.zip
- You can see the OTA zip flashing on your device, wait until the process is completed.
- Reboot the device once everything is done.
That’s it. The update might take some time as the device is updated to a new version, so sit tight until the process is finished.