OnePlus has been on fire lately, with all the Beta releases and updates for OnePlus 3. The above statement will probably trigger a lot of OnePlus 2 owners because they are left out in the cold, as far as Android Nougat is concerned. Recently, OnePlus has released Oxygen OS 3.5.8 for OnePlus 2 but, sadly, still it’s based on Android 6.0.1. That definitely ought to make the loyal OnePlus fans very angry! But fret not, my fellow Android warriors, for an unofficial Hydrogen OS based Android 7.1.1 Nougat ROM is available for our beloved OnePlus 2!
Unlike other OS manufacturers, OnePlus has two completely different versions of Android. One for the Chinese Market (Hydrogen OS) and the other for the rest of the world (Oxygen OS). While the Oxygen OS is close to Stock, Hydrogen OS offers a different (Personally, being a huge sucker for design, I like it) experience. Take a look at the Screenshots below and decide for yourselves.
Hydrogen OS Screenshots:
Below are a few screenshots of Hydrogen OS based on Android 7.1.1 in action on OnePlus 2:
Note: The ROM has English language option. The screenshots below have been taken on a Chinese OnePlus 2.
Download Hydrogen OS based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat for OnePlus 2:
Hoping that the above screenshots had a positive effect on you and possibly convinced you to try Hydrogen OS, here are the download links for Hydrogen OS based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat for our OnePlus 2:
Note: The above link redirects to Baidu, a Chinese website. Use Google translate for easier navigation. Though the site is not harmful, do exercise caution!
Install Hydrogen OS based on Android 7.1.1 Nougat for OnePlus 2:
Follow the below steps to get the Android 7.1.1 goodness on your OnePlus 2:
- Copy the above-downloaded file to your phone memory.
- Boot into TWRP Recovery:
- Switch off your phone.
- Press and hold Power Button and Volume Up Button at the same time.
- Release both the keys once you are in the fastboot mode.
- Select ‘Recovery’ from there. Use Volume up/down keys for navigation and Power button to make a selection.
- Your phone should now boot into TWRP Recovery.
- Take a full Nandroid Backup.
- Do a full wipe. Tap on ‘Wipe’ and select Data, System, Cache, Boot and ‘Swipe to wipe.’
- Go back to TWRP main menu. Tap on ‘Install.’ You will be asked to choose the file to install/flash on your device. Select the file we downloaded a while ago.
- Once the process is complete, Reboot to System.
Please note that the first boot may take longer than usual time to finish, this is expected, do not panic.
Now you have the Hydrogen OS based on the latest Android 7.1.1 on your device. Enjoy!