Samsung’s latest flagship, the Galaxy S5, is available in markets worldwide for quite a while now. The international Qualcomm version of the device received root via Chainfire’s well known CF-Auto-Root just a few days after its launch. However, the users of other variants of the S5 were still waiting for a working root exploit for their phones.
For all such users, we have a great news! Chainfire has now released rooting packages for 8 more variants of the device including the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T. If you are a proud owner of the S5 from T-Mobile and are keen about gaining root access on your new phone, you do not need to wait any more. Using Chainfire’s CF-Root, you can easily root your phone in a few clicks.
Please note that a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM is not available for the device right now, but having rooted your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T, you will be able to install apps that require root and thus enhance your phone’s performance and battery life. Indeed, achieving root access is one big step toward getting the best customization on your device.
The rooting procedure described below has been tested successfully on Samsung Galaxy S5 SM-G900T. Do not try it on any other S5 variant or you might end up with a bricked phone. Again, follow the tutorial at your own risk and do not try it if you do not understand what it’s all about.
Before You Proceed
Okay, before you move on with the rooting steps, you need to make some preparations so that things might go easy for you without any serious issues.
- Download the CF-Auto-Root package for the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T: CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip
- Download and install either Samsung Kies or USB drivers on your PC. If you have Kies on your computer, make sure it is not open while you use Odin: Download
- Enable USB Debugging on your Galaxy S5: open phone Settings> About and then tap Build number 7 times till Developer options are enabled on the device. Now go back to Settings> Developer options and turn on USB Debugging.
- Make sure your phone is amply charged.
Root T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T
Having made the preparations, you can now root your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T by following the steps below:
- Unzip CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.zip that you downloaded from above.
- Now open the extracted folder and launch Odin3-v3.07.exe as administrator.
- Turn off your Galaxy S5 and boot it into the Download Mode: press and hold the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons at the same time for about 2-3 seconds. Release the keys when you see a warning screen and then press the Volume Up key to enter the Download Mode.
- Now connect your S5 to the computer using the USB cable.
- Wait till the ID:COM port at Odin turns blue to indicate the successful detection of your device. If your device is not recognized by Odin, try reinstalling the USB drivers, enabling USB Debugging and rebooting your system and device both.
- Now Click the PDA button on Odin and select CF-Auto-Root-kltetmo-kltetmo-smg900t.tar.md5.
- Finally, click the Start button on Odin and wait till CF-Auto-root is installed and you get PASS! message with green signal.
- Your Galaxy S5 will reboot automatically.
- Unplug the phone and wait till it boots up. You should now see a new app called SuperUser in your phone’s app drawer.
Congrats! Your T-Mobile Galaxy S5 SM-G900T has now been successfully rooted. Just to make sure that your device has proper root access, install Root Checker from the Google Play and run the app.