Samsung Galaxy Ace GT S5830 a popular Android phone. It is a mid-end Android device with pretty cool features. If you are owner of this little monster and want to enhance its capabilities by installing custom ROMs, you will need to root your device. After rooting the device, you will not only be able to install apps that need root access to the system files of your device, but choose from hundreds of custom ROMs for your device.
Note that the method for rooting the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 given in the present tutorial applies to devices on Froyo and Gingerbread firmwares. To know the firmware version of your device, go to Settings> About. Below you will find separate sets of tutorials for Froyo and Gingerbread firmwares.
- Create a backup of your contacts, messages and other important data on your device so that you do not lose them in case anything goes wrong. Backup your contacts, call-logs, messages, APNs, bookmarks, calendar, apps & games using these nice free apps.
- Charge your device properly to a decent battery level.
- Turn on the USB Debugging on your device: Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging.
- Download the Rooting Package for Samsung Galaxy Ace on Gingerbread (do not extract).
- Download and SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse.zip (for Froyo).
Root Galaxy Ace S5830 on Froyo:
- Turn on the USB Debugging Mode on your device as directed above.
- Download and install USB Drivers for Samsung devices, if it is installed on your PC. Without appropriate drivers your computer will not detect your phone.
- Now connect your device to the computer via a USB cable.
- Extract the SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse.zip file. Inside the extracted folder you will find “SuperOneClick.exe”. Click on this application and you a pop-up window will appear. Wait for some time so that the program detects your device. Then click on the ROOT button.
- In a few seconds your device will be rooted and it will reboot automatically.
Root Galaxy Ace S5830 on Gingerbread:
- Copy the upd_1.zip file to the main directory of your SD Card.
- Now switch off your device and go to the Recovery Mode. To boot into the Recovery Mode press and hold Home + Power keys simultaneously. Keep the keys pressed till you see a screen like shown below:
- Use the Volume and Home keys to navigate through the options in the Recovery Mode.
- Go to “apply update from sdcard”, select it and locate the “upd_1.zip” file you downloaded and copied to the SDCard.
- Confirm your choice by selecting “yes” and the installation will begin.
- Wait the process to finish and when it is done, go back to the main menu and select “reboot system now”.
Your Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 will reboot and it will be rooted. To verify if the root was successful, look for the Super User app on your device, or download Root Checker Basic app from Google Play Store and run it. If you have any question or problem regarding rooting the Samsung Galaxy Ace, feel free to ask me.
[appbox googleplay com.joeykrim.rootcheck]
Install ClockworkMod Recovery on Galaxy Ace S5830:
Since now you have a rooted Galaxy Ace, you can also flash the ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone so that you might be able to install custom ROMs and mods on it.
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery 22.214.171.124 (do not extract the zip): recovery-clockwork-126.96.36.199-galaxyace-fix.zip
- Copy the CWM recovery file to the root folder of your phone’s SD Card.
- Boot your phone into Recovery mode by pressing and holding Home + Power buttons simultaneously.
- Inside the recovery go to “apply update from sdcard”, select it and locate the “recovery-clockwork-188.8.131.52-galaxyace-fix.zip” file you downloaded and copied to the SD Card.
- Install the CWM Recovery, go back and reboot the phone using “reboot system now” option.
Looking for a good ROM for your Galaxy Ace S5830? Click Here…