Though there is now word from the mobile carrier Verizon about the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware update to it’s LG G3, here is a chance of getting your device to the latest Android version with the CM 13. The ROM comes form the official CyanogenMod repository. Hence, there are high chances of the ROM being stable. Also, with recurrent OTA updates from the community, the stability improvements and bug fixes are expected.
The first CM 13 release is dated Nov 24 for the Verizon LG G3 VS985. The ROM is pretty stable for an initial release. After a long wait, the CyanogenMod community has released it’s official CM 13 build for several Android devices. The repository is being updated by the community for several devices as we write.
The repository also includes the newest CyanogenMod recovery right beside the ROM. It can be installed just like TWRP recovery. The official custom recovery from the community has been developed for the convenience of installing OTA updates from CyanogenMod.
However, if you have a TWRP recovery installed on your device, then it should work just fine. Just make sure you have the latest build from TWRP. Here we have listed a detailed tutorial on how to install the official CM 13 ROM based on the latest Android 6.0 Marshmallow version.
Moreover, make sure you have the radio or modem file for your device. If the ROM doesn’t boot after the ROM installation, flash the radio file for it.
Stay tuned for further updates and let’s begin with the tutorial.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We won’t be held responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
- Official CyanogenMod 13 ROM for Verizon LG G3 VS985
- Official Marshmallow CM 13 ROM — Download | File: cm-13.0-20151124-NIGHTLY-vs985.zip
- Marshamallow compatible Google Apps
- The listed custom ROM is compatible with Verizon LG G3 VS985 variant only. Do not try it on any other device or variant.
- Make sure you have TWRP recovery installed on your device. Download and install the latest TWRP build. Checkout out detailed tutorial.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so as to transfer the ROM and Google apps to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
How to Install Official CM 13 ROM on Verizon LG G3 VS985
- Download the Marshmallow CM 13 ROM from the download section. Also download the Marshmallow Google Apps of your choice.
- Now transfer the zip file into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. If you see the TWRP logo, that means you have successfully booted into the recovery.
- It’s highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select all the partitions including System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- After performing the ROM backup, perform a full wipe. Return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to wipe.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
If you see the new boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loop or face system errors, try a factory reset from the recovery or you can always restore your previous ROM from the backup. If you are looking for root access on your new ROM, get to this page for latest SuperSU build.
For queries, comment down below. Like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.