Have you unlocked your DROID DNA bootloader? Not yet? Then follow this guide to unlock it easily with a few simple steps.
For those who have already managed to unlock their HTC Droid DNA bootloader shall read further on how to root and Install CWM/ TWRP on their device. The method ahead is based off XDA’s Recognized Developer dsb9938 who has been successful in rooting the new Droid DNA with a self created SU Binary flashable zip but in order to root, you must install a custom Recovery like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TeamWin Recovery Project (TWRP) first.
- USB Data cable compatible with Droid DNA.
- At least 60% of battery to avoid any risks.
- Enable USB Debugging.
- Appropriate HTC USB Drivers. [Download here]
Why flash custom Recovery? What is CWM or TWRP?
A Recovery is a very essential part of a Linux OS. In Android too, a Recovery plays a crucial part. Custom Recoveries may be considered as modified Recoveries based off manufacturer’s recovery source code with many other additional features. Such two famous custom Recoveries are CWM (ClockworkMod by Koush) and TWRP (TeamWin Recovery Project by TeamWin). We need to to flash a Custom Recovery to Install ROMs, Kernels and other addons in a flash able zip format.
What is rooting? What are its benefits?
Rooting is a process that allows any Android smartphone/ tablet user to gain root privileges over the android subsystem. Rooting not only helps in removing carrier limitations but also serves a purpose to change, remove or install operating system. It beholds many apps which require root permissions to operate. Not only apps, if you desire to mess around with the Android Operating System, root access is all what you need. So, to sum up, rooting a device removes all its limitations and makes you the master of your own device.
Install CWM/TWRP on HTC Droid DNA
- Here, we are going to imply the fastboot method to flash the custom Recovery on your DNA.
- Download the Required files. [Download here]
- Shut down your device and reboot into the bootloader mode by press volume down + power button all together until you see the bootloader mode.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable.
- Extract the downloaded file zip to desktop. so now we have a folder named “fastboot” on the desktop itself which binds all the required files.
- Go to the “fastboot” folder. Press shift key + right click on any empty space inside the folder and select “Open command prompt here”.
- This will open a new command prompt.
- Up till now everything should be same but further while flashing the recoveries, I have split the steps into different branches.
- To flash ClockworkMod 6.x (CWM), type:
fastboot flash recovery CWM.img
- To flash TeamWin Recovery Project 220.127.116.11 (TWRP), type:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
- To flash ClockworkMod 6.x (CWM), type:
- Once you have chosen any one of the above and flashed it successfully, type in:
- This will reboot your DNA into the boot mode selection screen, you can then highlight Recovery and select it using the power button to boot into your first Custom Recovery.
Root HTC Droid DNA
[Note: This process is only tested with CWM. You can perform the flashing actions with TWRP too, it won’t be a problem at all]
- Since you already have you bootloader unlocked and also a Custom Recovery to perform custom actions. You can now simply root your Droid DNA within a minute.
- Download this flash able .zip file of SU Binaries and busybox for Droid DNA. [Download here]
- Connect your device to the PC in mass storage mode via a USB data cable.
- Copy/ paste the downloaded SU.Busybox.Installer.zip to your storage.
- Power off your device and press volume down + power button all together until you see the mode selection screen.
- Highlight Recovery and select it using the power button to boot into your Custom Recovery.
- Go to “Install zip from sdcard” > “Choose zip from sdcard” > select SU.Busybox.Installer.zip from the location where you placed it.
- After the flashing process is complete, select “Reboot System Now”.
Congratulations! You have easily installed Custom Recovery and Rooted your new HTC Droid DNA with a few simple steps.