Instead of adding a ton of features no one might use, and differentiating their software experience with a skin, OnePlus decided to stick to the look and feel of stock Android. The company’s OxygenOS still packs many features that aren’t available on stock Android but it’s nothing like Huawei’s EMUI or Samsung’s TouchWiz. But OxygenOS has a much better developer community, resulting in a great number of mods. Today we will be talking about a framework mod for OxygenOS. The mod modifies a few things but the most important one perhaps is enabling the burn-in protection.
OnePlus devices ship with an AMOLED display in case you didn’t know which is quite unlikely. AMOLED displays suffer from a burn-in problem over time. There are workarounds though. Android smartwatches and even the Always on display on Samsung flagships use the workaround already so we know it works. This works by shifting the position of the text over-time so the same pixels are not lit up all the time.
The aforementioned framework mod was developed by SyCreed, who was also the developer behind the OxygenOS debloater. The framework mod only works with the stable versions of OxygenOS. The open beta versions released by OnePlus are not compatible with the framework. The mod can be easily flashed via recovery. Hence, you don’t necessarily need a rooted OxygenOS ROM but you will need a custom recovery installed on your device.
- Removes the annoying Input Method switch in the notification panel.
- Reduces navigation bar height from 46 dp to 34 dp.
- Low battery notification will appear only after 10% battery is left.
- Removes safe media volume after plugging in earphones.
- Enables Burn in Protection – like the one smart watches have.
- A OnePlus device running a stable version of OxygenOS.
- A custom recovery, such as TWRP installed on the device.
How to install
- Download the flashable zip from the link provided above and transfer the file to your device’s storage.
- Boot your OnePlus device into recovery mode. In order to do this, first power off your device. Now press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously until your device boots into recovery mode.
- When in recovery mode, select Backup from the TWRP main menu. Then select all the partitions you want to back up and swipe at the bottom to proceed. Depending on how many and which partitions you selected, the Backup process can take a few seconds to several minutes. This is an optional step, nevertheless an important one. In case you ever wish to uninstall the mod, you can’t so it’d be better if you have a back up from the time before installing the mod.
- Now select Install from the TWRP main menu, then browse to and select Framework+mod+v2+op5.zip.
- Swipe at the bottom to flash the zip file. The flashing should take just a few seconds.
- When it is complete, you will see a Reboot system button appear at the bottom, tap on it.
Your device should now boot normally, with the framework mod installed. You should start noticing the differences once you start using the device.