GIFs are one of the most popular image formats nowadays that support both static and animated images. Basically, it is an image or picture which moves or has a life in it. Converting a video into a GIF makes it easier to share jokes and witty retorts on blogs and the likes because of its relatively small size. Today, we’ll see how we can convert videos into GIFs easily on Windows PC and Android.
Although there are many tools available for converting a video into a GIF, in this guide we will show you how to convert a Video into a GIF using Adobe Photoshop CC (2017.1.1) and the most popular cross-platform instant messaging application WhatsApp (Android).
Also read: How to Enable Grayscale Mode on Any Android
Convert Videos into GIFs on PC Using Photoshop
- Launch Photoshop CC.
- On the bar at the top, click on File > Import > Video Frames to Layers.
- From the pop-up window, choose the video file you want to convert and click on Open to load the video into Photoshop.
- After the video has been loaded into Photoshop, you are provided with two ranges to choose from to import the video: From Beginning To End and Selected Ranges Only. The second option allows you to select a part of the video by moving the sliders as you desire. Limit to every…frames allows you to cut every other frame of the video. Uncheck it for the best video quality. Make sure that Make Frame Animation checkbox is ticked and click OK. If the file is large, you will see a notice box which says that the file produced would be large and the frames would be limited to 500, ignore the warning and hit Continue.
- The frames will be then imported into Photoshop as layers. You can add effects to the layers, edit or delete them.
- When you are done with the editing process, go to File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)… or if you are using an older version of Photoshop go to File > Save for Web and Devices.
- In the Save window, you can configure various settings within the right-side pane before exporting the final GIF image. You can also change the image size, quality and looping options here. The bottom of the window has an option which lets you preview the animation by hitting the play button.
- When you are done with all the above processes and satisfied with the results, Click on Save to begin exporting the video, finalize and save the converted video to a desired location.
- This guide best works on Adobe Photoshop CC (2017.1.1), but also works with older versions of Photoshop. NOTE: Adobe Photoshop CC is a paid software and as a result, is only available as a 7-day free trial, after which you will have no other option than to purchase the full version. Link for downloading the software is given below:
Convert Videos into GIFs on Android Using WhatsApp
- Shoot a video or pick any video from your gallery, for both of the video duration should be at the least six or under six seconds.
- Go to any chat or conversation on WhatsApp.
- Tap the paperclip button which is located to the right within the text field itself, select Gallery and choose any video of your choice that you want to convert into GIF which is at the least six or under six seconds.
- After the desired video has been selected, a video editor will appear within WhatsApp. Locate and tap the GIF button as shown in the screenshot below:
- Now, the GIF should be available for editing. Trim the video as you desire using the sliders located in the timeline at the top. After all the editing and trimming is done, personalize the GIF message by adding a caption and finally hit that green arrow to send.