The Moto series is well known for delivering high-end specifications at affordable prices. Moto X Play has made quite some fan following since its launch a couple of months ago. Not just Android users but developers also have been getting into the development of this device to get the best out of its powerful hardware. Here we present to you some popular and stable custom ROMS for the Moto X Play.
Most of these ROMS are officially supported and are updated regularly from their respective communities. Hence, you can be sure of their stability improvements and bug fixes. Most importantly the ROM that is backed by a community happens to receive long-term support for security and vulnerability updates.
However, in order to install a custom ROM you need TWRP recovery installed on your device. We already have a tutorial for this purpose and you will get acquainted with it in the following guide. Be sure to backup everything before you proceed.
Warning: Warranty may be void if you root or install custom ROM on your device. We at DroidViews won’t be liable for any damage to your device whatsoever. We are not responsible if you brick or damage your device. Reader’s discretion is advised.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop based Custom ROMS for Moto X Play
- [ROM][5.1.1][AOSP] The Android Open Source Project
- [ROM][5.1.1][Lux][OFFICIAL]BlissPop v4.0.1[UNIFIED]
- [ROM][5.1.1][Lux]CrDroid Android
- [ROM][5.1][lux] PAC-Man ROM for Moto X Play[UNOFFICIAL]
- [XT1562] [Pac 5.1 r_1 unofficial build] [Pac Man ]
- [ROM][5.1.1_r24][LUX]RESURRECTION REMIX [5.5.7]
- [ROM][5.1.1_r18]Team-Radium 1.4[OFFICIAL]
- [ROM][lux][5.1.1] Cyanogenmod 12.1 – 2015 [UNIFIED]
- [ROM][lux] CyanogenMod for Moto X Play
- Download | Google Apps from Open Gapps
- The listed custom ROMS are compatible with Moto X Play only. Do not try it on any other device.
- Make sure you have TWRP Recovery installed on your device. For detailed TWRP installation instructions using fastboot, get to our tutorial through this link.
- You must have device drivers installed on your PC so as to transfer the ROM and Google apps to your device’s storage.
- You must fully charge your device or at least to 60%, as the process may take a while.
Backup your Apps and Data
Before you proceed, make sure you backup all your data. This process will wipe all the data from your device except for the internal storage. Hence, a full backup or nandroid backup is recommended. Also backup all your internal storage files just in case anything goes wrong. Take a nandroid backup from the custom recovery before flashing the ROM.
How to Install a Custom ROM on Moto X Play
- Download the desired ROM and the Google Apps from the download section.
- Now transfer the two zip files into your device’s internal storage. Place the zip file where you can easily locate it.
- Now reboot into Custom Recovery (like TWRP). To boot into TWRP, first turn off your device and then press and hold volume down and power keys at the same time. If you see the TWRP logo, that means you have successfully booted into the recovery.
- Although this is optional, it’s highly recommended that you perform a nandroid backup. To backup your ROM, tap on backup option in TWRP and select the following elements: System, Data, Boot, Recovery, EFS and swipe right where appropriate, to backup.
- After performing the ROM backup, return to the TWRP main menu and tap the wipe button and select Advanced Wipe. Then select Dalvik Cache, System, Data, and Cache. Now swipe the confirmation button to backup.
- Now go back to the TWRP main menu or home screen and tap on the install option. Navigate to the ROM file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation. The ROM will be installed.
- Now return to home in the TWRP and tap on the install option. Navigate to the Google apps zip file and select it.
- Swipe the confirmation button to proceed with the installation.
- Once installed, reboot to system.
When you see the new boot logo, that means you have successfully installed the ROM on your device. If you come across any boot loop or face system errors, try a factory reset from the recovery or you can always restore your previous ROM from the backups.
For queries, comment down below. If we have helped you, then like and share us on social platforms. If you need help with other devices, let us know.