At DroidViews, we have a great series of best custom ROMs for a range of Android phones and tablets. The Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082 was released back in January 2013 and noticing the popularity of the phone in Asian region, we wanted to do a best ROMs post for this device in April. It is very surprising that despite grand sales figure the development activity around the Galaxy Grand is scanty to a great extent. It is really an unusual thing!
Though we have the used the word “best” in the post title, we cannot really say that the ROMs listed below are “best” in the true sense of the word. Actually, there are just a little bunch of custom ROMs for the Galaxy Grand and we are listing them all below. Since I do not have the device itself, the review given below are based on the opinion of the users.
If you want to install a custom ROM onto your Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082, you must have root access on your phone. Besides, the presence of a custom recovery is required too. In case you have not yet rooted your phone, you can easily do it by following the easy steps given on our rooting tutorial on the link below:
Also Read this:
- Charge your phone to at least 70% level.
- Backup your contacts, messages, call-log and apps, etc.: Use these apps
How to Install a Custom ROM on Galaxy Grand:
The procedure of installing a custom ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery is almost the same for all Android phones. You just have to follow a few steps and it is done!
- All custom ROMs come in zip and have md5 checksum signature that tells your device that it was downloaded successfully and does not miss anything. So download the ROM file in zip and copy it to you phone, preferably to the external SD card.
- If you have downloaded an AOSP or CyanogenMod based custom ROM, you’ll also have to install the Google apps after flashing the ROM. Download the latest Google Apps zip package to install via CWM here. Copy this file to your phone too.
- Now boot your phone into recovery mode. Here is the method: press and hold Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time till the Samsung logo with device name blinks for 2 times. Then release the Power key while keeping other keys pressed till you see the recovery menu with “ClockwrokMod Recovery” written on the top. In Recovery mode, use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select options.
- Important: Go to “backup and restore” option and backup your current ROM to the external SD card.
- When backup is complete, go back to main menu and “wipe data/factory reset”.
- Then go to “advanced” and “wipe dalvik cache”.
- Go back and select “mounts and storage” and “format system”.
- Return to main menu and select “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sdcard”, navigate to the ROM zip file and select it.
- When the ROM is installed, also install the Google apps zip package, if applicable, using Step 8.
- Finally, return to main menu and select “reboot system now”.
Wait till the device boots up properly and you see the welcome screen. Do the required setup and enjoy the new ROM!
1. GENNXT ROM Android 4.2.2
Developer: balliboxer (Donate)
GENNEXT is based on the latest official firmware for the Galaxy Grand Duos but it contains various mods and ports from Galaxy S3, S4 and Note 2. It is a completely deodexed and zipaligned ROM with BusyBox. Various system tweaks and optimizations make it reduce lag delays and perform faster and smoother. As for the battery-life, it is fine too.
Here is t5he list of features of the GNNEXT ROM for the Galaxy Grand Duos GT-I9082:
- Most unnecessary system apps/bloatware have been removed.
- SMS 200 recipients, stop SMS to MMS auto-converting, increase SMS hour limit
- Camera & Camcorder hacks: Adding “Shutter Sound On/Off” in menu, flash can be used in low battery
- Note2 video player (with live thumbnails, have to wait for sometime to let video player to build thumbnails)
- Note2 Motion Quick Glance
- S4 LockScreen with flare effect
- Galaxy S4 app and Settings icons
- S4 AccuWeather widget
- Galaxy S4 Contacts app
- Ink Effect Blue Colour For Now
- Smart rotation new feature
- Notification panel lock screen and recent apps
- Pop Up Browser
- Inbuilt Flash Player
- 4 way reboot menu
- Multiwindow feature with unlimited apps support
- Lockscreen rotation
- 5 shortcuts on the lockscreen
- 5×5 app grid on homescreen and app drawer
How to Install: Read at the beginning of the post.
2. CM 10.1 (Unofficial) Galaxy Grand Duos
CyanogenMod ROM is one of the most original and popular custom ROMs for Android devices. It is available, officially or unofficially, for almost all phones and tablets. The current port for Galaxy Grand is based on the latest version of CM, that is 10.1, and lets you enjoy Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on your phone.
CyanogenMod ROMs have always been known for their lightweight, speedy performance, smooth user interface and battery-friendliness. The only major issue with this unofficial port is that it does not support dual SIM and so only the primary SIM works.
3. XperiaZ ROM for GT-I9082
The very name “XperiaZ” is enough to express what this ROM has to offer! If you love the look and apps of Sony’s current flagship Xperia Z and wish to have them on your very Galaxy Grand Duos, the XperiaZ is the best and only choice for you. The completely changes the look and feel of your device to let you experience the Xperia feel.
It is a fully deodexed and zipaligned ROM featuring Busybox and init.d support. Besides a lot of system tweaks and optimizations, the XperiaZ ROM brings a host of features from the Xperia Z. The ROM looks beautiful and performs faster and gives better battery. The developer has removed most bloatwares but you can still enjoy the features that come with your Galaxy Grand Duos.
- XperiaZ Launcher
- XperiaZ Album
- XperiaZ Movies
- XperiaZ LockScreen
- XperiaZ Bootanimation
- XperiaZ Walkman player
- XperiaZ SystemUi
- XperiaZ System Sounds
- XperiaZ Fonts
- XperiaZ Icons
- XperiaZ ClearAudio+
- BRAVIA® Engine 2
- 4Way Reboot
- Themed Recent Apps Windows
- Themed 23 Toggles
- BloatWares Removed
More ROMs will be added soon!