The first Android 4.2.1 firmware for the Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 came out months ago in February. It features Jelly Bean 4.2.1 and since then the users of the device have been waiting to get the latest version of Android on their device. It was later reported that the update will begin rolling out shortly after the launch of Samsung’s new flagship the Galaxy S4.
And it really arrived exactly a month ago (May 20 to be exact) with a greater version of Android that was Jelly Bean 4.2.2, but it was still a leaked test firmware with some bugs and issues. Leaked though, the new firmware did give us a glimpse of what the Android 4.2.2 update for our Galaxy S3 will bring to us!
Most of the Galaxy S3 users had been anticipating the new update to arrive in the last week of June but once again we have greeted by another leaked firmware for the device that shows much improvement over the former leak and promises that next time it will come as an official release. As DroidViews, we never failed to give you a detailed reviews of the new firmware updates for the Galaxy S3 and this time too, we are here again to give you an idea of what it offers to help you decide whether you should go for it or not.
About the I9300XXUFME7 Firmware:
OS Version: Android Version: 4.2.2 Jelly Bean – JDQ39
Region: Open Europe (Unbranded)
Build Date: May 21, 2013
New Features and Changes:
Compared to the older I9300XXUFME3 leaked version the latest I9300XXUFME7 firmware is very different except for a little improvement in performance. Besides, the former was a branded firmware for HotMobile, but this one is unbranded and so you’ll not see the HotMobile bootanimation and the bloats in Hebrew language.
Coming directly from the current Android 4.1.2 firmware, the new version is a big jump in many respects. Having installed it on to your Galaxy S3, you’ll notice the following changes and improvements:
- Firmware version will be bumped to Android 4.2.2
- The most striking changes can be seen on the lockscreen that looks completely like the Galaxy S4. You can choose from 2 effects (light and ripple) on the lockscreen. Multiple widgets can be added to it. Like seen on S4, you can set a personalized message or set a digital clock in various sizes. The Facebook and Yahoo new tickers have now gone.
- Move Apps to SD Card: this is another striking new feature that most users will welcome with open hands, It was recently introduced to Galaxy S4 and now you can move installed (not system) apps to SD Card. Great!
- Another new thing is the Daydream feature found on Nexus devices with 4.2.
- You now have 2 pages in the Notification panel and you can toggle between them by tapping the Quick Launch icon at the top right corner.
- You can expand a notification by tapping and dragging it and take appropriate action.
- The Settings page has an all new look and now you have tabbed look with different heads.
- Most Samsung apps like My Files, Music Player, Gallery, Calculator, etc. can now be viewed full screen without the status bar.
- New voice control feature for controlling Camera, Calls, Music Player apps.
- New S Voice app from the Galaxy S4 is here.
- Music Player now looks like that of the Galaxy S4 with some new features like Smart Volume and Voice Control.
- The new Adapt Display feature under Display settings.
- Addition of Driving Mode which speaks out certain things like caller names, incoming notifications etc.
- The icons for some apps have been changed.
- Some new widgets like User Manual, Adapt Sound, Smart Switch,
- The various modes for viewing images in the Gallery app have been removed now.
- Performance is faster than Android 4.1.2
I have tested, and am still using, this firmware on my Galaxy S3 for about 20 hours now and it feels quite stable and good. It can be used as a daily driver. The battery life is same as the previous Android 4.1.2.
As we mentioned above, the new leaked firmware is unbranded and therefore it can be installed on any Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9300 that is not locked to a carrier. Just download the Android 4.2.2 firmware from our link below and install it.
Since the firmware file is big and many of you might feel problems with downloading it, I have also added a mirror and torrent link for your convenience.
MUK Upload Link: I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_OXA.zip
Mega Link: I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_OXA.zip
Torrent Link: I9300XXUFME7_I9300OXAFME7_OXA.zip.torrent
For Rooted Users:
If you have a rooted Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with a custom recovery installed on it, you can install the the Android 4.2.2 ROM from below using CWM or TWRP just like you flash a custom ROM.
Pre-Rooted and Deodexed Version: I9300_ME7_deodexed.zip
If you have installed the deodexed version of the XXUFME7 from above, here is the Galaxy S4 launcher and weather widget that works perfect with the new leaked firmware. Just download, extract and flash the zip using CWM. Detailed instructions on installation can be found inside the download package below.
How to Install:
Installing the new firmware on a Galaxy device is very simple for those who have ever done it in the past but if you are new to this, please use our easy tutorial to install it safely and fun way.
Do not forget to share you thoughts and reactions regarding the new firmware. And yes, if you have any question or doubt realated to the topic, just let’s us know. Cheers!