It’s has been more than a month now since Google launched the new version of Android with the Nexus 5. While most Nexus devices that have supported hardware have been blessed with the new flavor of the OS, there are still dozens of phones and tablets from OEMs like Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, etc. that will have to wait for months before the Android 4.4 KitKat update to rolled to them. Besides, there will still be hundreds of devices that might never get the official KitKat update from their manufacturers.
Thanks to the brilliant development community of Android that makes no distinctions between the old and new devices and keeps striving to distribute a new treat to one and all equally. That simply means that you can enjoy Android 4.4 ROM on your device even if it has been declared unfit or undeserving by the OEM. The only condition, however, that you have to fulfill is to have root access and a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP Recovery on the device you own.
For the last couple of weeks, we have been sharing Android 4.4 KitKat ROMs for a good bunch of devices. Continuing our mission, we have today come with some nice custom ROMs for the Samsung Galaxy S2 and its US variants that will give you the luxury of enjoying KitKat on your phone.
Since it’s still very early, not many ROMs are available currently for the device, and the available ones are in the development phase. All ROMs are in working conditions but do not get surprised if you notice a few minor bugs here and there. As the respective developers keep updating their work on regularly, always try the latest versions to get the fix for any bug that discover after installing the ROM.
Now here is the list of Galaxy S2 variants for which Android 4.4 KitKat ROMs are available right now:
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-I777
- T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
Activities like rooting and flashing a custom ROM are considered risky. While rooting voids the warranty of your phone, installing a custom ROM might endanger it. If you choose to try any of the ROMs listed below, do it at your own risk. We or the developers will not, in any case, be liable for any mishap. In case you get stuck at a certain thing or caught into a problem, all we can do is to help you fix things to the best of our capacity.
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2
- Latest CWM (v. 22.214.171.124) or TWRP (v. 126.96.36.199) Recovery installed on the device.
To install the latest version of either of these custom recoveries, you can use either ROM Manager (for CWM) or Goo Manager (for TWRP).
Android 4.4 KitKat ROM on Galaxy S2
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
CM 11 Official ROM: cm-9-20121209-NIGHTLY-galaxys2.zip
Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G
Omni ROM: omni-4.4.2-20140209-i9100g-NIGHTLY.zip
CyanogenMod 11 ROM: cm-11-20140209-NIGHTLY-i9100g.zip
AT&T Galaxy S2 SGH-I777
CM 11 Official ROM: cm-7-20120722-NIGHTLY-galaxys2att.zip
T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
ParanoidAndroid 4.0: pa_hercules-4.0-ALPHA-2013.zip
CyanogenMod 11: cm-11-20140208-NIGHTLY-hercules.zip
Download Android 4.4 KitKat Google Apps:
Download Latest SuperSU:
How to Install:
- Important: Do not forget to backup your phone’s EFS/IMEI before. Read this article for detailed tutorial.
- Make sure your Galaxy S2 is amply charged.
- Copy the downloaded ROM, Google apps and SuperSU zip files to your phone.
- Boot your phone in recovery mode. Here is how to do it: hold down the Volume Up+Home+Power buttons together for 4-6 seconds till the screen turns up and you see the recovery screen. Alternatively,you can enter recovery mode using these apps.
- If you are using CWM, use the volume keys to scroll up/down and the power button to select files and options. TWRP users can simply touch the corresponding buttons to get a job done.
- Important: Before doing anything, do not forget to backup your current ROM using “backup and restore”option (in CWM) or “Backup” option (in TWRP) and check all items to backup.
- CWM Users: Go back to main menu in recovery and select “wipe data / factory reset> yes”. Then go to“mounts and storage” and wipe data and system.
- TWRP Users: Just tap on “Wipe” button and select Data, System and Cache.
- Now go back again and choose “install zip from sdcard> choose zip from sd card” option, select the ROM file in zip and choose “yes” when asked. If you have TWRP, use “Install” button, select the ROM and swipe the slider to confirm installation.
- When the ROM is installed, install the Gapps zip package just like you flashed the ROM in Step 9.
- Then install the ”UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.zip” file the same way.
- Finally, select the reboot system option.
When your Galaxy S2 boots up, go through the initial setup and after that your phone will be ready to use. Enjoy the new taste of Android and do not forget to share with us your experience, or any bugs that you notice during using the ROM. Cheers!